Make No Bones About It We're Vegan


Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Raw Balls, and Core Balls, and Ball Balls


My strength training has improved, and I have increased sit ups and jumping jacks, and stretching. I was a little concerned about doing jumping jacks when I first began this training plan. I was afraid it would jar my back, so naturally I took it easy, so when I started I just waved my arms back and forth. Nobody waved back. I have now incorporated the jump part and yesterday I reached 75  jumping jacks during interval training with weights and core ball. I think nobody waves back because I workout alone. I really should use the mirror. I am up to 100 sit ups too. Now I can eat sitting up too.

I am back to running five miles pretty regularly. I tag on the additional three mile walk and the most I did last week was five miles with a three and half mile walk. I know I have improved my speed, not from timing my run but by picking up my speed on the straight away at the track. I feel pretty good about that.



Workouts help alleviate depression. As much as I try to visualize positive outcomes and improved body image, I still get funky thoughts. Yesterday while using the core ball, I pictured Peter Sellers in the Pink Panther movie, "A Shot in the Dark". You know the one   where Inspector Clouseau investigates a nudist colony.


Sure, Peter Sellers was in great shape from swimming, and I have the same glasses,  but why would I visualize Inspector Clouseau during a core ball workout? I have no idea.



My friend Darcy is doing the Insanity workout. She usually whips up a kale smoothie with some Vega Powder in it after her insane workout. Darcy gave me some powder to try out, I mean um Vega Plain Protein to try out and I also bought a small pack of the chai flavored Vega to sample. I found that I had less cramping and felt stronger after a workout and I really like it in a vanilla strawberry smoothie. Vega is kind of costly and for the first time in a  long while I am busted so it's not in my spending plan, unless Vega comes in Ramen flavor.

I also made some raw Vega Power Balls which are great for breakfast or even Halloween.

 
Vega Power Balls
3 T coconut creme whipped first
1.5 T coconut oil softened
1 C raw walnuts
1/4 C your favorite flavor Vega Protein or vegan protein powder
1.5 C dates
3/4 C unsweetened shredded coconut
 
Whip very, very cold coconut creme (milk) into a whipped creme. Add the creme, dates, coconut oil and Vega to food processor.
Process until mixture is well combined and creme and oil are fully blended.
Add in the coconut and blend until consistency is doughy and can form into balls.
Blend in the walnuts. 
Using a small scoop, scoop the dough and roll into balls. You can refrigerate, freeze or chow down on these room temperature.
 
 
And speaking of room temperature, it's getting chilly out here. Oh come on just share these balls with your favorite nudist or athlete.
 
 
Tip for today:
I am a pretty slow runner. Lots of times I find that other runners pass me on the track. Normally I could let this upset me, but lately I have realized a lot of the people who pass me stop running after a mile or two and I run more for endurance.
Tip: Don't compare your insides to someone else's outsides. We each have our own path.

What's your commitment for today?

 

25 comments:

  1. Perhaps you were wishing you could have been at the nudist camp with peter sellers. Endurance is a more useful training goal than speed unless you're trying to win a race when you need both. Sounds like you are making great strides. Is Heimlich training too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your success - I was scared to get back in the groove too, but I'm finding that I really love it now. :) And I love your tips - so true and so lovely! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bou Shin... I just saw that yoiu are indeed posting for MoFo. Why am I not seeing your posts show up in my Blogger feed?

      And thank you that is so sweet of you, good for you getting back to it.

      Delete
  3. I was, Andrea I was. Don't tell Heimlich (t)
    I think you are right about endurance.
    Aww, thank you, slacked a little last week, mostly couldn't get to it.
    Heimlich is up to 3/4 of a mile and many pushups ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! I have some old protein powder to use up so thank you so much for posting this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Mandee. Hope you like them, and thanx for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Teeeheee super nudist GiGi photo. :oP

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the strides you're making! Maybe you need to take your jumping jacks to a public place, so that people will wave back. Or maybe not if you're still going the Peter Sellers route... You might be doing your next MoFo post from jail!

    I just recently signed up at a gym, and so I'm getting back into a gym routine, in addition to recreational biking. Like you, lots of people pass me when I'm biking, but at the gym, no one passes me on the elliptical. I'm happy for small favors! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cadry.
      Oh that would not be a good idea hahaha jumping jacks if I go the Peter Seller route. Oooh I would rather not think about that.
      I am an idiot on a bike. You go Cadry!

      Delete
  7. Sounds as if you are in the groove! I'm in a tiny running slump after re-injuring my knee - somehow the elliptical trainer just doesn't do the same thing for me. Oh and yeah, I was into the Vega powder for a while, but have decided it's just too expensive. I like it and all, but...going back to KyoGreen for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry about your knee I know too well about getting back on track no pun intended after injuiries. HOpe you get back to it soon.
      I must check out kyogreen.
      Thanx for reading.

      Delete
  8. Three forms of coconut in one recipe: you've just found the key to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 5 miles? GO YOU! Awesome! Your power balls sound delicious and energizing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey hey, thank you VeggieAmanda. I haven't run since Sunday, I've done the coreball, must run today,doing it during MoFo is the utimate challenge ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My first visit to your blog, and what a show I get!:):)

    I understand the need for those super power balls, and they sound good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaha. Thank you for stopping by. Surprise ;)

      Delete
  12. I think I have been here before. Just a long time since I made a second visit. I need to retire from work!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think I've seen you here before, retirement sounds good to me too.

      Delete
  13. 100 situps is just way too cool! These balls will be great to carry on hikes too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Niru. I adding them before each shower so they add up if you are like me and take a couple of showers a day (I have to take one after a run too) Yep great on hikes too. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  14. GiGi is a nudie!! ha. Love the pic. And giiiirrrrllll, you run 5 miles regularly now? Geez. You are inspiring me to get off my lazy butt and do something...but it's so dang hot here I am motivated to do nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahaha.Thank you Cara! It's hot here too! I know. Been doing mostly core ball and strength training this week, with tennis thrown in.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These balls are helpful at that time while doing Pilates exercises and light back pain workouts at home.Best core workout

    ReplyDelete