Make No Bones About It We're Vegan


Monday, April 16, 2012

Breakfast at the Mansion

I am a voracious reader. Yep. I read everything from cookbooks to gluten free cereal boxes. I imagine most bloggers read a lot. Still, I tend to mix up Gothic romance plots. I mean there are fires, and servants, madness and alcoholism in almost every book from Bronte through
Du Maurier. I get mixed up with whose portrait or person is in the attic and who kicked the bucket. My birthday is in a few days. I hope somebody puts a portrait of me in their attic. I need to slow down the ravages of time. Vegan moisturizer isn't that great.
My smarty pants friend, Marcia made me reread Rebecca, because I still confuse
Mrs. De Winters with Jane Eyre. Now I am less befuddled, but really, Mrs. De Winters is kind of a moron. I mean I don't care how naive or how new she is to Manderley, who in their right mind would allow this creepy donkey face Danvers create their menu for them. Let's switch up the heroines  for a moment, shall we?

GiGi De Winters: Yes, I would very much like to see the menu for the mansion, Mrs. D.
Mrs. Danvers: You can trust me, to make fantastic meals for you and Mr. De Winters.
GiGi De Winters: Um, yeah...I don't think so, Mrs. Dee. Last time you used a lot of butter and eggs, when I specifically ordered tofu scrambles for Maxim and me. I refuse to starve in this mansion.

GiGi De Winters and Mrs. Danvers argue about eggs.
Too bad Gothic novels don't have photoshop.
Mrs. Danvers: I didn't know what a Vagun was.
GiGi De Winters: Oh stop. It's pronounced vee-gun even in English Gothic romances. That's it! You are forbidden to watch "Paula's Home Cooking" anymore.
Mrs. Danvers: (Mrs. Danvers screams) but... but Madame, Rebecca always watched Paula Deen with me.
GiGi De Winters: Oh Rebecca this, Rebecca that. They'll be no Paula Deen at Manderley.
Mrs. Danvers: As you wish. (Mrs. Danvers exits)
GiGi De Winters: (calls after Mrs. Danvers) Oh BTW tomorrow I'll make my own breakfast!!! I have to fit into that shmata for the fancy dress ball.

Does this hat match? Eh, Doesn't matter Mr. De Winter is half blind. Wait, never mind, that's Jane Eyre's hubby who's blind.
GiGi De Winter's Manderley Breakfast (will feed two gluten free Gothic characters)



1 pouch of TJ's frozen brown rice or 2 C cooked brown rice
8 oz of coconut milk
1 rice cake (broken up)
1/4 C dried apricots (chopped)
1/4 C dried dates (chopped)
1/4 C dried cherries (chopped)
1/2 C pecans (chopped)
1/4-1/2 C agave or brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg or allspice

Open the pouch of TJ's, (luckily there is a TJ's right around the corner from the mansion), frozen brown rice and dump it into the sauce pan. Heat for about a minute over medium heat. Stir. (You can do this with your cooked rice too). Add the coconut milk, and sweetener. Stir. Heat for about 5 minutes. Stir in chopped fruits and nuts. Add broken up rice cake and spices. Cook 'til hot. Add more coconut milk and sweeten as needed.


GiGi De Winters: (yells from breakfast table) You better not be watching Paula Deen, Mrs. Danvers!
Mrs. Danvers: Bahahahaha.
GiGi De Winters: Oh crap I smell smoke. 



Disclaimer
For those who have read this prior to my guest post over at Veganosaurus, Rebecca's ghost published this before I was able to get this to Susmitha. I will let you know when it airs over there. There will be an introduction that won't be included here. And if you don't already know my buddy, Susmithy, please visit her kick ass blog.

Thanks for having me Susmithey. Sorry gotta run.






8 comments:

  1. Haha. I think I'll make this breakfast tomorrow for Heathcliff. It will warm him up nicely before he heads out on the moors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha. Don't be so sure that he'll meet you there. But make some extra just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think GiGi De Winter's picture is my fav :) It's as if she is saying she is Prim and Proper on the bottom but vacationing tourist on the top. Very goth, I think.
    I am not much of a fictional reader (I love non fictional stuff and cannot get enough of facts). Maybe after this post, however, I will be inspired to pick up a romance novel of some sort...Good writing does that for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes,Cara that is a good depiction of GiGi De Winter. I love non-fiction!!! Wait you mean this isn't non- fiction?

    Aww thank you, Miss donut Maker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAHA I can't stop looking at that first photo over and over again and laughing. I don't know whose expression is more priceless. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha back. thank you, Veganosaurus. GiGi De Winters says "nahahahaha, Mrs. Danvers".

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this!
    "Um, yeah...I don't think so, Mrs. Dee. Last time you used a lot of butter and eggs, when I specifically ordered tofu scrambles for Maxim and me. I refuse to starve in this mansion."

    "Mrs. Danvers: I didn't know what a Vagun was.
    GiGi De Winters: Oh stop. It's pronounced vee-gun even in English Gothic romances. That's it! You are forbidden to watch "Paula's Home Cooking" anymore.

    I totally see why Cara is a huge fan of you & your Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww. thank you so much! Thank you for adding your self as a follower.

    ReplyDelete