Make No Bones About It We're Vegan


Friday, July 1, 2011

Sneaky Tzatziki

It's the aubergines time to shine. The price is great and eggplants are plentiful. They don't have that mushiness or bitterness that can sometimes be the case other times of the year. They are pretty versatile too. I wouldn't make rice cream or cookies out of them but they kick ass in gyros with some tangy tahini sauce. They rule in eggplant heros with a  smattering of  marinara  and hit of Daiya mozzarella. Don't wanna go the sandwich route, how 'bout vine ripened  tomato, eggplant, vegan sausage sauteed in garlic and oil and served over fresh pasta ? Damn I should never write this blog when I'm hungry. Be back in a jiff.
Oh yeah,  so I didn't make any of the stuff I told you about this time. I made the above plate.
I sliced the eggplant thin, lined a baking sheet with parchment and sprayed the veggies with canola oil, seasoned with "21 Salute" and sea salt and roasted them with the broccoli in a 425 degree oven for about 17 minutes. I suggest cooking the broccoli about 5 minutes before adding the eggplant (they take a bit longer).

Although the photo does not do justice. The veggies are accompanied by some delicious tzatziki. Tziki to you.

Sneaky Tziki
1 English cuke cut in half lengthwise and deseeded then in quarters
1 scallion chopped
3/4 C plain soy yogurt
2 T Vegennaise
1 TTahini
1 tsp lemon
1 garlic clove minced
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp-1 tsp cumin
1T dill (I like dill)
and here's the sneaky part...3 radishes chopped to give the Tziki a bite.

Mix all dressing ingredients together in bowl including seasonings. Add cuke, scallion and those sneaky radishes.Toss.

Take note. I find plain soy yogurt a little too sweet. Next time I might up the Vegennaise or use vegan sour cream. It's your call. The roasted eggplant and Tziki would be very happy together inside a pita for a perfect summer picnic lunch.

4 comments:

  1. The Tziki looks andso cooling and delicious! Prefect for a hot, Indian summer day! Right now we have dingy, rainy weather but it still sounds tempting to me. I suppose the yogurt loving gene in me speaking (all South Indians have that gene). The hot, roasted veggies look scrumptious though!

    By the way, Wildwood has plain, *unsweetened* soy yogurt. It has a light, natural tang that plain yogurts should have and would be perfect for this recipe. Whenever we're in the US, the first thing we do when we visit the nearest health food store is to look for it. If they don't carry it, we can ask them and they get us some if they're already dealing with the company. And Wildwood, though most common, is not the only soy yogurt company that has the plain, unsweeted variety so whatever brand of soy yogurt you see, just ask for the unsweetened.

    We managed to get some in the middle of Nowheresville Arkansas, I'm sure it'll be super easy for you in good old California. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee I wonder what Prefect I was referring to. :oP I meant 'Perfect'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds so good. I second veganosaurus' suggestion to find Wildwood plain yogurt. It can be quite tart, but you'll never call it sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, thanx Susmitha and Andrea. I like Wildwood products. I'll pick some up for sure.

    ReplyDelete