Make No Bones About It We're Vegan


Saturday, July 9, 2011

Mama GiGi's Back Porch Corn Bread (oh you know what I mean)

I am not necessarily prone to exaggeration. At least not the way my sister, who we call Heidi Hyperbole is. If Heidi tells you she found a $100 bill outside an AT&T store that enabled her to pay the remainder of her cell phone bill for the month, she most likely found five bucks outside Trader Joe's and was able to buy a burrito. Heidi is an embellisher not a liar-liar pants on fire. So when I tell you that this cornbread is the best you ever had, remember it's me talking not Heidels. When I tell you that people travel far and wide for this sweet moist cornbread I mean it! Far and wide might only be fifteen to twenty miles but since I am presently without a car, far and wide takes on a whole new meaning. To me far and wide is like living in the Old West. It could take me and my posse  twelve days to reach San Francisco from Oakland in a stage coach...(just once I would like to be upgraded from coach...bahaha). They'll be no Wild West campfire cooking today, unless I can getta hold of some Dandy marshmallows. No sirree boy, we're talking bayou cornbread cooking. Step aside Paula Deen. Here's some sauteed mustard greens, with hearty 'shroom gravy and Mama GiGi's mouthwatering cornbread "graced" with a pat of Earth Balance.
You have to say "grace" when you partake in Southern fare. It makes baby Jesus happy. And for some reason the cornbread tastes better.

Mama GiGi's Back Porch Cornbread 

2 1/4 C Flour
1 C sugar
3/4 C cornmeal
1.5 T baking powder
1 3/4 C rice milk or any vegan milk even vanilla flavored is fine
1/4 C water mixed with one T Ener-G egg replacer
1/2 C canola oil
1/2 stick + 1 tsp EB (hey it's Southern Cooking) melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8" by 8" pan. I line it with parchment and regrease lightly.
Combine flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder in a medium bowl.
Combine rice milk, Ener-G slurry, canola oil and melted EB in a small bowl.
Add liquids to flour mix. Stir with wooden spoon til just combined. Lumps are cool. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake for about 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Warm cornbread....the stuff that food dreams are made of. Y'all come back now ya here. You too, Paula.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment