Make No Bones About It We're Vegan


Thursday, September 2, 2010

For Pete Sake it's a Pizza


NABISCO SOCIAL TEA BISCUITS 6 CT.
I am not a tea drinker. I shun most teas except wimpy sweet teas like Good Earth Tea and an occasional Soy Chai Tea with lots of cinnamon. In the early 80's I worked at Good Earth Restaurant and wore the uniform wrap around skirt which was very hard to wrap and was often tea stained. I once rolled " Morning Thunder Tea " into a cigarette and smoked it. Morning Thunder Tea was touted as having 2,000 percent more caffeine than coffee so why not? Who cared if my skirt unwrapped after that? Other than that I pretty much hate tea. A lot of people in California ask me if I'd like to meet them for tea, socially. A social tea, I guess. Remember those cookies " Social Tea Biscuits "? They were good with coffee. 

Meeting someone for tea feels like getting together to pull out my fillings. Let's just do coffee. While we're at it, how come nobody here ever says, " let's go have a bagel " or " let's go get a slice "?  Well because in Northern California you might as well say, " let's go eat a slice of cardboard -or in the case of a bagel, " let's go eat some cake ". Even if I did live in New York I wouldn't eat a drippy oozy pizza unless it was Vegan of course. Check out this Vegan Pie, but please, please don't eat it with tea.

Broccoli Pie Recipe

1 Corn Meal Pie Crust (I like Vicolo Organic)
1 firm tofu drained and pressed
1/4 of onion chopped
2 C broccoli chopped
1/4 C sundrieds in oil chopped plus 1 T for topping
1/2 C nutritional yeast and 1 T for topping (nooch)
2 T olive oil for pan and then 1 T for topping
1/4 C shredded Daiya Cheddar (optional). ( I know you are thinking why not Mozz...I like the Daiya Cheddar better that's why! )
Canola or olive oil spray

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spritz fry pan with canola or olive oil spray. Heat pan and add 1 T of oil. Add onions and saute for 2 minutes. Add broccoli and saute for another 5 minutes. Crumble tofu into pan and stir with a wooden spoon. Stir in 1/2 C nooch, 1/4 C sundrieds. Cook for about ten minutes. Place corn meal shell on cookie sheet. Top with tofu broccoli filling. Use back of spoon to flatten and bring to the edges. You will probably have some topping leftover to munch on while you are waiting for your pie to cook. Top with 1 T of nooch, 1 T of sundrieds, Daiya Cheese if using and remaining oil. Bake for about 12-14 minutes.
Mangia. Please eat socially.


1 comment:

  1. guessing we will be making this tomorrow?
    Yum,yum!then cheddar it is!

    ReplyDelete