Make No Bones About It We're Vegan


Monday, December 13, 2010

I Smell Pot...Pie

So remember when I promised you the best pot pie recipe ever? It's coming up. I never made a pot pie before. Sure I made oodles of pot brownies but that was way back when- like pre-pokey.
Hey...where did those cats come from...I didn't know we had cats, do you have cats? Apparently we do, for some time now. Oh sorry, I'm back now. Larry directed me back to my blog.

Hi. So we made this with my students. They did a bang up job too, if I do say so myself.

Filling

The Filling
4 carrots, chopped
3 medium potatoes, chopped

3 scallions, chopped
1 cup broccoli, chopped
2 cups vegetable broth (I make mine with water and bouillon cube)
1 cup frozen peas thawed

10  mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon dill
1/2 teaspoon cumin
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup 1/2 vegan chicken strips roughly chopped (about 8 strips)
1 cup firm tofu drained pressed and cubed

Crust:
2 C flour
1/2 T Apple Cider Vinegar
2/3 C oil
1/4 tsp bkg powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/3 cup water


1 T oil
3/4 C fresh spinach
1C Daiya or shredded vegan "sheeze"


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Toss carrots, potatoes, broccoli into a large stove pot, add the broth, bring to boil then simmer on low heat (covered) for 20-25 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Meanwhile, heat oil in fry pan and saute scallion, vegan chick (you know what I mean) and cubed tofu. Saute for about 7 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

2. While the carrots, and potatoes and brocc are cooking up, go ahead and make that crust. Mix the crust ingredients together in a bowl. Lightly flour a work surface. Pat dough out on surface and divide in half. Evenly press 1/2 the dough onto the bottom of a deep rectangular glass baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes.
Tip: I always transfer my dough from the work surface by wrapping it onto a rolling pin and then unrolling it from the pin into the pan.

3. When the broth mix is done. Add the remaining veggies, chick mix shredded "sheeze" and nooch. Mix well.
 4. Spoon  filling into crust packing it down. Press the remaining dough on the top, and bake for 20-25 minutes. The top will be golden brown when it's ready.


This recipe is a variation on a recipe I found on Vegweb. Great pot dude. Hey- no bogarting. Anybody out there?








7 comments:

  1. thats an interesting crust recipe, the vinegar got me very interested (among other good sounding things:) this seems like it would be good even without the meaty strips. veggie pot pie. i will remember this recipe, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome. Please do try. The crust is so easy. It's really good, really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm out here. I love your sense of humor GiGi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GiGi do you mind if I share your story, about helping out the homeless kid, on my blog? I'm looking for Guerrilla kindness stories to share and that was so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gilding Lilies. Hah. I'm gald you are! Thanx so much. Yes, of course go ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey GiGi!
    You won one of my cookbooklette from my Vegan Eats & Treats blog! Send me your mailing address please, and I will get your booklette in the mail tomorrow!
    :) xo!

    ameyfm at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so awesome. Thanx Amey. Hugs back!

    ReplyDelete