Make No Bones About It We're Vegan


Friday, October 1, 2010

Hoops and Basmati Rice Pudding

My tummy is doing tricks and looks like a basketball. The Harlem Globetrotters want to recruit my tummy. Our dribble is very good too. I told the Harlem Globetrotters' scout that my tummy and me could not play every game. The tummy needs consistent carbs to be bouncable, specifically Basmati Coconut Rice Pudding and besides my tummy and me get somewhat drowsy after the first lay-up. Basmati Coconut Rice Pudding is an interesting dinner choice, even for me and said tummy. I must say it was very satisfying, (of course filling and comforting), and the aroma of Basmati Rice cooking is tantalizing. For all you raisin haters and coconut cringers out there you can just leave that stuff out. I hope my hubby doesn't roll us out with the garbage. Me and tummy are holding out for the NBA offer.
I've included a lovely side salad in case you want more sustenance and a drop of veggie before the playoffs. (My student Mo shredded those carrots for me and made the awesome dressing in cooking class)

Basmati Coconut Rice Pudding (serves 4 - 6 generous portions)
1 1/2 C  Basmati rice (rinsed and drained)
2 C  Water
2 T  Earth Balance
2/3 C Agave plus about 1/4 C more to sprinkle over the parfait glasses when filled
1 1/4 14 oz cans lite coconut milk - I like Trader Joe's brand
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 T non-alcoholic  vanilla
1 C Raisins
4 T Unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)

Add rinsed and drained basmati rice and water to pot.  Add 2 T EB. Bring to a boil. Lower flame to a simmer, (low), and cover. Cook rice about 21 minutes more. No peeking or lifting that lid...it will screw up the rice big time. After your timer has dinged, now go ahead lift the lid... what are you waiting for? Stir in 1 can of coconut milk, 2/3 C of agave, vanilla and raisins and cinnamon. Let stand 20 minutes, or refrigerate. When ready, spoon into parfait glasses or fancy pants bowls and add 1 T of agave, a drizzle of coconut milk to each vessel, (Oh you know what I mean), pour a generous tablespoon of coconut milk over each "vessel, or glass or bowl". Add coconut if so desired.



Simple Asian Side Salad With Sesame Dressing
1 Package of Butter Lettuce
2 Celery stalks chopped
1 Carrot grated
TJ's Roasted Seaweed Snacks
chopped peanuts, or cashews (optional)
a handful of bean sprouts (optional)

Sesame Dressing
1/2 C canola oil
3 T toasted sesame oil
1/4 C apple cider vinegar
3 T soy sauce
1 T agave
Gomasio

Divide butter lettuce evenly amongst salad plates. Top with carrots, celery and other fixings.
Whisk all dressing ingredients in bowl. Drizzle dressing over each salad and sprinkle with Gomasio. Garnish with TJ's Roasted Seaweed Snack.

Now go shoot some hoops.

No comments:

Post a Comment