Make No Bones About It We're Vegan


Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Here's the Skinny



Skinny Bitch in the Kitch: Kick-Ass Recipes for Hungry Girls Who Want to Stop Cooking Crap (and Start Looking Hot!)Humbled by my ill fitting bras, I picked up a book I formerly railed against. I've glanced at this book before but always detested it's name. Unsurprisingly it's a slim volume that sits amongst voluptuous cookbooks in the Vegan cooking section of your local bookstore. I actually sped read Rory Freedman's and Kim Barnouin's second book "Skinny Bitch in the Kitch" when it came out, and pooh poohed the store bought vegan meats they used in their recipes. But I was skinny then,and for the most part,  I would not be considered a bitch even if my name is like a poodle's.
 After tipping the scales five weeks ago, I was browsing the new book section in our local library. There amongst the new books was Rory and Kim's not new first book in their bitch series, called "Skinny Bitch". What the hell did I have to lose? (haha just fill in the blank).

Skinny BitchThe bitch books are based on tough love and adopting a vegan lifestyle to maintain healthy weightloss. But what about me,a long time vegan and life long vegetarian? How would this book work for me? Did I really need to know more about the slaughter industry before I even got to the menus?  Did I really need to read all about the many benefits of veganhood before I lost a single ounce? I mean I know this stuff, right? After all I spent a year as a comedy writer for a tv show about toxic chemicals and factory farming. What could the two "b's" tell me that I didn't know?  Well, sometimes it's just good to be validated by some smart girls.

What I really needed from this book was a swift kick. The sentences that encapsulated that kick for me is " If you can't take one more day of self-loathing you're ready to hear the truth! You cannot keep shoveling the same crap into your mouth and expect to lose weight, GiGi". Wow, how did they know my name? I also like that they start their day with fresh fruit. Now I have fruit with my black coffee. C'mon girls, green tea for breakfast too?  Isn't it enough I eat kiwi when I roll out of bed, you freakin bitches?

Skinny Bastard
Don't feel left out guys.Their recent bastard book really wants to help you get buff not scrawny-skinny. I would check out "Skinny Bastard" if I were you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment