Make No Bones About It We're Vegan


Thursday, July 22, 2010

Greetings From North Pole Cali and Cookies

It's July!  Greetings From Northern California!!!!
Although I am terrifically inspired and would like to make a lot of new recipes today, I don't feel like getting the bobsled out again to go to the corner market. I will have to make do with the ingredients on hand. Blustery weather makes me yearn for a comfort cookie.
After a quick inventory of my larder I realize I will have to find inspiration elsewhere. My culinary dreams will have to wait 'til I can brave this grey frigid 65 degree Arctic climate.This might be a good time to spy on my fellow bloggers. Maybe they'll have something I can whip up with what's left in my pantry. Think I'll mosey on over to see what Rachel and Janet are doing at "Life Told In Recipes" http://lifetoldinrecipes.blogspot.com/. Hmmm... The other day they made a crostini which is a fancy pants name for a pie. Lu Samu over at http://lusamu.com/ made a pie too. Lu didn't show a picture of the pie she made. She's an interior decorator/house wizard so she reupholstered an 18th century chair to look like a pie. I made a pie last week too. Feh. Nobody cares.
I don't want a pie anyway, unless the weather changes back to a balmy 67 degrees. Lookie, lookie here comes cookie. I rummaged through the blogs which was no easy task. Mittens are hard to work with, but they leave no prints. Anyway, I decided to veganize Rachel's yummy molasses cookie recipe and give it my own twist. They are cakey cookies so I decided to make Whoopee... uh make them into whoopee pies by sandwiching them together with lemon frosting.

Rachel's Molasses Cookies with a Veganville Twist

2 1/4 C unbleached flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 1/4 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp allspice
1.5 sticks EB (room temp)
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 vegan sugar
1/3 C molasses
1 tsp non-alcoholic vanilla
1 tsp Egg Replacer
2 T water

Lemon Icing
1/4 C Earth Balance
1 1/2 C confectioner's sugar
1/2 T fresh lemon
1 1/4 tsp organic lemon flavoring

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk all the dry ingredients except the sugars in a medium bowl. In a small bowl mix Egg Replacer with water until it is a slurry, (with a fringe on top). Never mind.
In a large mixing bowl cream the earth balance. Add the the sugars and mix. Add Egg Replacer, molasses and vanilla and mix well. Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until just combined. I use medium ice cream scoop to measure out the dough per cookie. Roll the dough into a ball and place onto prepared cookie sheet. This should yield 15 gigantic cookies. Rachel says it should make 15-20, but I ate some dough from the mixing bowl. I wound up with 2 cookies.
Bake 5-6 minutes. Turn the pan and bake about 5 more minutes.The cookies get harder as they cool. Remember you want them cakey soft so don't sweat it if they don't look done. Get them out of the oven and let them cool completely before icing.

Zee icing
1/4 C Earth Balance (softened)
1.5 C confectioner's sugar
1/4 tsp fresh lemon
1/2 tsp organic lemon flavoring

Cream the Earth Balance. Add the confectioner's sugar a little bit at a time. Mix about 3-5 minutes until smooth. Add the fresh lemon and lemon flavoring. Mix,
Spread on the flat side of the cookie and sandwich!

Great un-sandwiched too! My testers loved these. Thank you, Rachel.

1 comment: